Tahoe Production House just wrapped production on a piece for Lake Tahoe Community College’s “Gift of Literacy Event”. We were thrilled to be a part of the day to capture the excitement of the kids receiving books and the inspirational talk given by David Wise, professional snowboarder and author. Check out the piece below:
Gift of Literacy in South Lake Tahoe is a program that encourages a love of reading among young children. The program is designed to increase the literacy rates of students and infuse books into the South Lake Tahoe community.
Through rich community partnerships and generous donors, we would like every first-grader in Lake Tahoe Unified School District to participate in this enriching literacy program.
Gift of Literacy aims to encourage students to enjoy and be excited about reading and learning by:
- Exposing them to a variety of books: Each student reads five carefully selected titles throughout the year.
- Empowering them with a choice: Each student chooses his or her favorite title and receives a hardbound copy of the book at the celebration.
- Providing them with an exciting event: All the first-graders go to a celebration where they meet their favorite characters, such as Clifford the Big Red Dog.
- Reinforcing the importance and enjoyment of reading: Students are split into small groups and read to by community members, sometimes even authors, at the celebration.
- Introducing them to a college campus: The event is held at Lake Tahoe Community College, where the students get a glimpse of college life.
Lake Tahoe Community College serves our local, regional, and global communities by promoting comprehensive learning, success, and life-changing opportunities. Through quality instruction and student support, our personalized approach to teaching and learning empowers students to achieve their educational and personal goals.